After having that ART SUNDAY about TAJMAHAL....A poem about Tajmahal written by Sahir and beautiful VIDEO of my favorite song !
Sahir says, " Ek shahanashaah ne daulat kaa sahaaraa le kar ham Gariibon kii muhabbat kaa yon udaayaa hai majhaak ! " ( Means - An emperor has made ( Tajmahal) by taking support of his wealth and made our love a joke !...) The most striking features of the poetry of Sahir (which literally means "enchanter') are intensity of thought, utter sincerity, pathos for the downtrodden and a novel treatment of his subject matter. In his immortal poem Taj Mahal, Sahir refused to sing of Shah Jahan's grandeur and the love he ostensibly had for his queen. For him, the Taj Mahal is symbol of a tasteless proclamation of love, more exhibitionist than real. Instead, he eulogized the skill of the artisans who built the Taj Mahal and lamented at the poor reward they must have received. Finally, he arrives at the grand finale by concluding that the great emperor, with the help of his enormous wealth, ridiculed the love of the poor and the deprived.
I am going to write only ENGLISH VERSION of his poem about Tajmahal. Though I knew about this poem and read it before but I want to thank my friend Shuja for the Link, where I got this English Translation ! ( As my English is so poor that I could not have done the translation of his poem so nicely
)
A symbol of love is Taj for you,
A place of fun, frolic for you.
But my dear, for my sake,
Meet me at another place.
Not for poor this palace
Royal grandeur fills this place.
How can young innocent hearts
Be at peace in these parts?
These are tombs of kings long dead,
Charm though over you they spread.
Alas! behind advertisement
Of faithfulness, endearment;
You canât see I think, my dear,
Ugly wealth displayed, I fear.
While enchanted by these tombs,
Why forget dark our homes?
Countless people loved before,
Theirs too were hearts so pure.
But they loved without much fuss
They were poor too, like us.
Palaces, tombs and forts
Bear testimony of sorts.
Kings wealthy and arrogant
Left behind these monuments;
Whose colourful engravings
Give rise to misgivings.
Behind beautiful colours
Is blood of our ancestors.
They too must have loved in full
Whose hands made it beautiful.
Graves of their beloved
Lie today but neglected.
Palace, garden, riverâs shore,
Decorated walls and doors;
This display of treasure trove,
What a joke on poorâs love.
So, my dear for my sake,
Meet me at another place.
Who is this Sahir? As my brilliant friend Shuja from Afghanistan, reminded me about Sahir Ludhyanvi, I felt that yes, I must introduce you this UNIQUE & GREAT POET called SAHIR LUDHIYANVI from my country.... My knowledge about him was first limited to only old Hindi film songs written by him...Then in college I was inspired by Amrita Pritam ( Another great writer & poet - lady! May be I started my writing after inspired by her & few great poets whose "SHAYAREE" did have a great influence in my life and having hobby of this writing!! You know my Dad & brothers used to tease me "Amrita Pritam of the family
at that time and I used to get
, but hey now I feel it was a great honor in fact though I am not even 2% of her !
During my college days, I used to ask my college librarian to provide me as much books as he had in our library written by her!! Here again I got to know the new angle of this poet Sahir.... ( I will write about AMRITA PRITAM and Sahir in another blog where I will mention about their relationship ...)
So about Sahir -
Sahir Ludhyanvi (born Abdul Hayi) was one of the most prolific songwriters in the history of India's cinema. During the 31 years that he composed for Indian film (1949 to 1980), Ludhyanvi wrote more than 200 songs, ghazals, and nazms, many of which continue to be sung in his native land. Although the son of a wealthy landlord, Ludhyanvi never benefited from his financial legacy. Instead, he chose to live with his mother after she left his father and was cut off from his assets. Graduating from the Khalsa High School in Ludhiana, Ludhyanvi continued his education at the city's Government College. A talented poet, Ludhyanvi became the editor of Adap Lateef and Savera in Lahore. With his socialist-inspired writing heavily criticized by the government of Lahore, he temporarily relocated to Delhi and began working for a magazine, Shahraah. A collection of his poems, Talkhiaan, was published in 1943. Moving to Bombay in late-'49, Ludhyanvi soon began his involvement with the film industry. He continued to compose for Indian movies until his death in 1980.
I LOVE his famous Poem as a SONG sang by my favorite male singer Mohd. Rafi, I DO BELIEVE IN EACH LINE OF THIS......I will write here only ENGLISH TRANSLATION of "Hindu banega na musalmaan banega, Insaan ki aulad hain insaan banega..." ( simple meaning is you will neither become a hindu nor a muslim you are a kid of human you will become a human...)
Sahir Ludhianvi*
you won't become a Hindu nor a Muslim you will become
a human progeny you are and a human being you will become
it is wonderful that so far no name you have
and no association with any religion you have
the knowledge that has divided the human beings
no blame on you, for none of that you have
the harbinger of changed times you will become
a human progeny you are and a human being you will become
each one of the human being Lord created
and out of that Hindu or Muslim we created
nature had blessed us with just one land
but here India and Iran there we created
the storm that breaks every barrier is what you will become
a human progeny you are and a human being you will become
which teaches hatred, that religion is not yours
the step that tramples human being is not yours
that temple** which has no Quran, yours, it is not
where there is no Gita, that mosque is not yours
an inspiration of peace and compromise you will become
a human progeny you are and a human being you will become
these merchants of religion one's own country they sell
and also the shrouds of the human corpses they sell
those slayers and looters sitting in the palaces
for the price of thorns, the gardenÃs soul they would sell
for them, the declaration of death you will become
a human progeny you are and a human being you will become
you won't become a Hindu nor a Muslim you will become
a human progeny you are and a human being you will become
More about Sahir's LIFE : Sahir achieved all the fame, fortune and respect he wanted. He was highly decorated and received many national and international awards, including India's highest, Padma Shiree, and the Lenin Peace prize from the Soviet Union. Countless women were his ardent admirers, keen to shower their love and affection on him. But Sahir's early-life experiences, which gave rise to his numerous psychological problems, never allowed him to enjoy the fruits of his success. Till his last days, Sahir remained a bachelor. He was lonely and forlon. His only solace was his mother, for whom he had overwhelming and abiding love. He respected her and gave her everything he had. Great tragedy befell him when she died in 1976. Her death battered Sahir's already-fragile psyche.
He took to heavy drinking. That refuge, too, was denied to him when he had to stop it under medical advice. He turned into a recluse, mostly cloistered in the four walls of his house. He became ill-tempered and spiteful, who took macabre pleasure in insulting his friends. Thus, he got caught in the vicious circle of morbidity and loneliness and died a dejected man.
Who was it that did knead my clay? Not I
Who spun my web of silk and wool?
Not I Who wrote upon my forehead all my good
And all my evil deeds? Not I.
He has written songs for film PYASA made by Guru Dutt. It has the song " Yeh mahalon yeh takhaton yeh taajonki duniya,...and Jaane woh kaise log the jinke pyar ko pyar mila....You can say all songs written by him are my favorite...
But I want to present here, MY FAVOURITE a romantic song from film Tajmahal ( see besides his original thoughts about Tajmahal, he had written great songs for this film and he had got "FILMFARE" Award for BEST LYRICIST in 1963 for this song of film Tajmahal ( like your Oscar awards)
ENGLISH MEANING
The promise which (you) did, (you) will have to keep it
Even if world goes against it or nature go against it you will have to come ( to meet )
The promise which (you) did, (you) will have to keep it
My eyes are very eager or my eagerness of eyes have called you
This path of love has called you
Life of my life, don\u2019t make me to wait so much, you will have to come
The promise which (you) did, (you) will have to keep it
I know, I may have to lose my life
But keep in mind , whenever you will call me, I will have to come
The promise which (I) did, (I) will have to keep it
I won\u2019t take blame on my honesty or loyalty
I have given my heart to you so I will give my life too
If I did this bargain then why to afraid? I will have to come
The promise which (I) did, (I) will have to keep it
Till these stars & moon keep sparkling
Our promises will not be broken
Whenever we will call each other in madness of love, we will have to come
The promise which (we) did, (we) will have to keep it
(Source of information about Sahir www.google.com )
No comments:
Post a Comment